The district was formed on January 17, 1928 as part of the Petropavlovsk district with the center in the village of Balkashino from the Socialist volost of Atbasar district, parts of akan-Burluk and Soviet volost of Kokshetau district.
By decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated November 14, 1997 No. 3759 "on renaming individual administrative – territorial units and changes in their transcription", Balkashinsky district was renamed Sandyktau district.
There are 5 localities in the district that have existed for more than 100 years.
The regional center – S. Balkashino
The total area is 6.4 thousand square km.
Number of rural districts-14
Number of localities-41
It has a population of 590 people. 19